Kaliadeh Palace situated on the banks of the Shipra, the island-like site, immediately conjures up the natural beauty of ancient Ujjain which poets down the ages of its beauty. The glorious landscape of the flowing river on both sides of the palace and the man-made tanks and channels, with water gurgling through them, provide a spectacular backdrop to the imposing building. The central dome of the palace is a beautiful example of Persian architecture. Two Persian inscriptions found in one of the long corridors of the palace record the visits of Emperor Akbar and Jehangir to this palace. The palace was broken down in the time of the Pindaris and was restored by Madhav Rao Scindia in 1920 to its present glory. The Sun Temple was also restored by the family.
The Kalidas Palace is less than 8 km from Ujjain railway station (Madhya Pradesh).